The London Knights saw forward prospect Mitch Marner pull off a spectacular 2015-16 season. As a matter of fact, it was ultimately determined to have been the best season across the entire CHL.
Marner was named Sportsnet’s 2016 CHL Player of the Year on Saturday, earning the accolades for a year that saw him boast 116 points in 57 regular season games and 44 points in his 18 games during the OHL postseason.
He was joined by a handful of other recipients for the annual awards, including Alex Nylander of the Mississauga Steelheads (who earned the CHL Rookie of the Year award for his 75-point, 57 game season in the OHL), Ivan Provorov of the Brandon Wheat Kings of the WHL – who took home the CHL’s Defenseman of the Year Award – and draft-eligible goaltender Carter Hart, who earned the Goaltender of the Year honors for a monster season as a member of the WHL’s Everett Silvertips.
Seeing Marner earn the player of the year this weekend is delightfully fitting, as the former fourth overall pick – selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs this past summer at the Entry Draft in Sunrise, Florida – is about to compete with the London Knights for the CHL’s Memorial Cup championship. He and the Knights took home a decisive victory for the OHL championships, losing just one game in the process. Now, they have gone undefeated in the Memorial Cup playoffs, as well; if there was ever a year to see Marner honored as player of the year, it’s this most recent season.
The remaining awards were given out as follows:
- Cavendish Top Scorer Award: Conor Garland, Moncton (QMJHL)
- BRP Top NHL Draft Prospect: Pierre-Luc Dubois, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
- Janes Sportsman of the Year: Samuel Girard, Shawinigan (QMJHL)
- All Weather Windows Humanitarian of the Year: Will Petschenig, Saginaw (OHL)
- TVA Sports Scholastic Player Award: Alexis D’Aoust, Shawinigan (QMJHL)
- Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year: Gilles Bouchard, Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)